Empty basket

SHOP

BOOKS

Art Shop
Il Grande Museo del Duomo

Advanced search

top products

Bronzino

50.00

L'archivio di Enrico Bianchini, ingegnere e impresario.

Un capitolo della storia del cemento armato in Toscana

Gabriella Carapelli

22,00 €

Add to basket

edited by Gabriella Carapelli

publication year: 2006
paperback
170x240 mm; 160 pp.
45 b&w illustratrions

88-7461-087-4 Italian

Enrico Bianchini (1903–71) gained professional experience working for the Società per Costruzioni Cementizie owned by engineers Leone Poggi and Francesco Gaudenzi, called SACIP as of 1938 and SACIP & C. starting in 1950. His thirty-year collaboration with architect Raffaello Fagnoni played a fundamental role in his career. A specialist in the calculation of reinforced-concrete structures, he helped design and supervise the construction of works such as the Autostrada Firenze-Mare, the motorway from Florence to the Tyrrhenian Sea, with the arch protecting the cableway of Serravalle Pistoiese; the stadiums of Turin and Lucca; the Scuola di Applicazione per la Regia Aeronautica delle Cascine and the Dante Rossi Casa Littoria in Florence; and the University of Trieste. Following post-war reconstruction, he built sports complexes, churches and industrial complexes (particularly cement factories and thermoelectric power plants), and worked on plans for council housing and other dwellings. In 1999 the General Administration for Archives launched a survey of the most significant contemporary architectural and engineering archives, in which the Archival Superintendence of Tuscany also participated. During this study, Bianchini’s documentation, deposited with the State Archives of Florence by his heirs in 2004, was noted due to its richness and complexity. Presented by Elisabetta Insabato and edited by Gabriella Carapelli, the archival inventory is supplemented by numerous photographs as well as a short biography of the engineer and an essay by Mauro Cozzi introducing the transcription of the “General List of Works” completed between 1908 and 1978 by the Società per Costruzioni Cementizie, which later became Ing.ri Poggi, Gaudenzi & C., SACIP and, lastly, SACIP & C. These materials thus represent a detailed chapter in the ‘history of reinforced concrete in Tuscany’ evoked by the title of the book. Its pages illustrate famous figures, great works and companies that played a key role in the industrial development and transformation of Italy’s road and rail network. Interwoven with changes in toponymy and set against the backdrop of a more detailed story, we find residential buildings as well as structures commissioned for farmers and businesses, in an ensemble that sketches out new suburban landscapes and elements that helped changed the appearance of Italian cities.